Fried green tomatoes are a southern classic. It’s not always easy to find green tomatoes in my local grocery store. I went to a farmer’s market and, boom, there they were. I’m sharing my recipe which includes Africa In Our Kitchen’s, Creole Seasoning.
- 1 C. Canola oil
- 1 large green tomato
- 3/4 C. all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbs. water
- 1/4 C. finely ground cornmeal
- 2 Tbs. Creole Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Set up a classic dredging station:
1 bowl with 1/4 C. of all-purpose flour (add salt & pepper to taste)
1 bowl with large egg, add 3 Tbs. of water and beat lightly with fork.
1 bowl with 1/4 C. cornmeal, 1/4 C. all-purpose flour and 2 Tbs. of Creole Seasoning. Stir to mix.
- Slice the green tomato into 1/4″ slices.
- Dip each slice first into flour, second into egg, and finally into the cornmeal, flour and Creole Seasoning mixture.
- Fry in hot Canola oil.
- Brown on each side and remove and drain on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with additional salt and Creole Seasoning to taste.
A large tomato will yield approximately 8 slices.