A good spice rub for grilling or roasting meats makes a huge difference in the success of any gathering. I use my spice rub on beef brisket, pork tenderloin, pork shoulder, whole chickens, etc.
The star of this tenderloin recipe is the spice rub. I settled on this combination of spices after preparing and testing several different recipes. My first use was on a 10 lb. beef brisket. Excellent!
Spice Rub Mix
- 3 TB. Chili powder
- 3 TB. Paprika
- 2 TB. Kosher Salt
- 1 TB. Ground Allspice
- 1 TB. Celery Seed
- 1 TB. Ground Coriander
- 2 TB. Garlic Powder
- 1 TB. Ground Mustard
- 1 TB. Oregano
- 1 TB. Ground Black Pepper
- 2 TB. Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cayenne (or more to taste)
- 2 TB. Onion Powder
- 1 TB. Dry Thyme
- 1 TB. Ground Cumin
Combine all the spices into a jar and shake well. Makes approximately 1-1/2 C. of rub.
Pork Tenderloin Medallions
- 2 lb. Pork Tenderloin.
- Pour approximately 1/4 C. spice rub on wax or parchment paper.
- Roll the pork loin in spice rub to cover the entire loin.
- Let the pork loin marinade with spices for at least 1 hour. Longer is even better.
- Roast in 425° oven 25 minutes per pound or until internal temperature is 160°.
- Allow roast to rest about 10 – 15 minutes before slicing into medallions.
- Makes 5 -6 servings.
- 10 lb. Beef Brisket
- Generously coat brisket with spice rub.
- Marinade in refrigerator over night
- Roast in 400° oven for 1 hour uncovered.
- Wrap brisket in foil. Be sure to fold under the thin end of the brisket.
- Roast another 3 hours at 350°
- Allow brisket to rest 15 – 20 minutes before slicing.